Allthatdips recipe: Cheese and salsa poppers
A nice and crisp crust of potatoes with cheese oozing out is a blockbuster snack. These delicious little cheese and salsa poppers make a fabulous appetizer for a party or game day gathering. I decided to play with the stuffing a bit. Most of you must have tried the jalapeno and cheese poppers or added some bell peppers or onions to the cheese mix. I didn't want to waste time with all the chopping and cooking so decided to use the fresh salsa from Allthatdips and see what I get. The stuffing of these poppers is a combination of regular processed cheese and fresh salsa. You can also use mozzarella cheese. It's amazing how just half a spoon of Allthatdips Peri Peri salsa can elevate the flavour of these poppers. You can make them ahead of time so all you have to do when it's time to eat is fry them. Putting them in the freezer for a couple of hours before frying will also ensure that they absorb less oil.
- Potatoes, 3 boiled and mashed
- Cheese, 5tbsp grated
- Allthatdips Peri Peri salsa, 4-5 tbsp
- Pepper powder, 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
How to proceed:
- Mix salt and pepper with the mashed potatoes. If the potatoes are too soggy or wet, dust some corn flour or add some breadcrumbs.
- Divide the mix into 12-14 equal portions and roll them into round shape.
- Make a depression in each. Place ½ tsp Allthatdips Peri Peri salsa and grated cheese and cover to seal the balls. Roll it. Repeat the same with the remaining potato balls.
- Leave them in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Slowly slide these balls in hot oil, 3-4 at a time and fry until golden brown in colour.
- Serve the salsa and cheese poppers with ketchup or green chutney.