Wanted to know How to make tomato sauce at home? You are at the perfect place. Almost everything tastes better when there is the involvement of sauce.
There are plenty of variations of sauces, but tomato sauce is the most common sauce that you can come across in the market.
If you are looking for an easy way to make this sauce at home, I have an easy recipe for you.
The ingredients required to make tomato sauces are quite common, so you can get them from nearby markets effortlessly.
Also, it is utterly satisfactory when you make tomato sauce at home, because you can customize the ingredients as per your choice of taste.
So take a look at all the ingredients required for tomato sauce recipe.
- 1 kg of ripe tomatoes
- 1 small onion(Diced)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Beshef garlic salt
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- ⅓ tbsp Bechef red chili flakes
- ¼ cup freshly chopped basil
Start by preparing your tomatoes.
You can use any type of tomato for this recipe, but Roma or plum tomatoes tend to have fewer seeds and less water, which makes for a thicker sauce.
If you’re using larger tomatoes, cut them into smaller pieces. Keep all the ingredients handy and let's start.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. It may take about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot and bring them to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let the tomatoes simmer until they start to break down.
Usually, it takes about 10-15 minutes. As a result, you will be getting perfectly mushed tomatoes.
Once done, let the tomatoes cool down for a while. Because we will be transferring them to the blender.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, puree the tomato mixture until smooth.
If you’re using a blender, be careful not to fill the blender too full, as the hot liquid can expand and cause it to overflow. It will be feasible if you blend the mixture in batches.
- Return the pureed tomato mixture to the pot and add the sugar, salt, black pepper, and red chilli flakes (if using). Stir to combine.
- Bring the tomato sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until it has reached your desired consistency.
The longer you let it simmer, the thicker and more flavorful it will become.
Once done, Stir it in the fresh basils to add the flavor of the basil leaves. And we are done, your tomato sauce is ready to use.
If you’re not using the sauce right away, you can store it in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
With just a few common kitchen handy ingredients and a bit of time, you can have a delicious and healthy tomato sauce. Now you might have know How to make tomato sauce at home.
Here are a few tips to make the most of your homemade tomato sauce:
Use ripe tomatoes:
The flavor of your tomato sauce will depend heavily on the quality of your tomatoes.
Make sure to use ripe, juicy tomatoes for the best flavor. Unripe tomatoes can put you in non-desirable outcomes.
Adjust the seasoning:
Feel free to adjust the seasoning to your taste. You can add more sugar if you like a sweeter sauce or more red pepper flakes for a spicier kick. It is all up to you.
This recipe is relatively simple, but don’t hesitate to get creative and add your twist.
You can add sautéed vegetables, such as bell peppers or mushrooms, for added flavor and nutrition.
You can also try using different herbs, such as oregano or thyme, for a different flavor profile.
Points to consider for a big batch:
The recipe mentioned above makes about 4 cups of tomato sauce. But if you are planning to make tomato sauce in a big batch, you must be aware of some essential points to consider.
- If you’re using fresh tomatoes, be sure to peel and seed them before using them. Canned tomatoes are already peeled and can save you time, but they may not be as flavorful as fresh tomatoes.
- Choose the right pot. A large pot is essential for making tomato sauce, as the sauce needs room to bubble and reduce. A wide, shallow pot will allow the sauce to reduce more quickly and evenly.
- Use the right amount of liquid: The amount of liquid in your tomato sauce will depend on the type of tomatoes you’re using and your desired consistency. If your sauce is too thin, you can simmer it longer to reduce it or add a small amount of tomato paste to thicken it. If your sauce is too thick, you can thin it out with a little water or chicken broth.
- Experiment with different types of tomatoes: There are so many different types of tomatoes to choose from, each with its unique flavor and texture. Try using a combination of different types of tomatoes for a more complex and interesting tomato sauce.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be well on your way to making the best homemade tomato sauce ever. Otherwise, I have special recommendations for you if you want to try something different.
Bechef is the most emerging Indian brand in terms of making flavourful sauces.
All the sauces are prepared in a home-cooking style and considering the health-conscious people. Bechef sauces are 100% veg. That adds authentic flavor to your food.
Author: Raj Padvi